There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, 5 March 2013

When Life Gives You Lemons

Today, I am having a bad day.. My self esteem is pretty low, I'm constantly hungry, and my body aches and craves sleep.

However, it is ok! Because the thing you can do, and the runners mindset that I have been able to build up, is to look forward. You start from the same spot, and you think I'm really not feeling this today. But you get up and you get in your kit. Because from the moment you wake up and know that today is a running day, that if you stay in bed, you will punish yourself later. The rest of the world doesn't care that you missed that measly run. But you do. Don't you?

Sometimes when I feel like that I just smile. Even if I'm not in the mood! I just look up and say 'Sally, if you don't run today you will feel guilty.' and I put on my trainers and leave the house. If I have a crap run, I move on, because at least I can say I had a crap run, rather than I didn't run at all.

Today, was my first real day of interval training. 10 runs 4 times with 2 minute walks in between, hard but good fun. I woke up bright and early at 7am and the first thing I noticed was the sun was coming through my curtains. Result! The first run in a while where I have been happy to get up so early for exercise! I get myself all ready and I head out the door.

I ran the park, my usual route, and for once I decided to take more time to appreciate the view. A scenic view with streams passing by and up early enough and out the door by 8 I saw no students, hardly any cars and I could hear the birds sing! I even saw a Kingfisher! At that moment, amongst all the anger, fear and panic that was previously rushing through my mind I just breathed. I breathed and I thought. Who cares? Because this feeling THIS feeling of possibility and freedom is why I feel guilty not running in the mornings or night or whenever. I don't just run to lose weight and keep fit. I run to keep happy, and remember the most important things in life.

Moral of the story? When life gives you lemons. Chop it up, put it in a martini and relax. After all, you deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment